Driving offense or most commonly known as traffic offense is an offense where you disobey any traffic laws in a specific country. This law is present to make sure that a person must drive responsibly and carefully obeying the road rules.

Driving offenses are a complex type of law, some of the charges can be a major case. Penalties and punishment may vary depending on the severity of the case, and of course, it depends upon on the country or state you’re currently residing.

Some of the charges can imprison you up to a maximum of 15 years, some can receive a fine, or an incurring demerit points. All of these are dependent on the offense you committed, the circumstances, or your driving history.

And if ever you’ve been charged with any driving offenses, you should seek legal advice from Motoring Offence Solicitor. You can find them at a law firm company near you.

Types of Driving Offenses

    • Below are some examples of the most common driving offenses:
    • Driving under the influence of drugs and alcohol
    • Driving without a driver’s license
    • Exceeding the standard speed limit
  • Driving without proper care and consideration to other pedestrians
  • Dangerous driving such as car racing, drag racing that involves car and motorcycle
  • If ever you’ll be charged from the following driving offenses mentioned above, seek legal advice immediately.

Driving Offenses: Violation Notice

Some driving offenses can be given on the spot, or you may receive a charge in the mail, and this would be your violation notice.

The following information about the charges will be:

  • Possible laws you’ve been violated
  • The amount of fine you’ll need to pay
  • Where and how you can pay
  • Due date of the fine
  • Failing to pay the fine on time, authorities can (may vary depending on the country or state):
  • Require your bank to transfer funds directly to them
  • Require your employer to deduct the amount from your salary every month
  • Register an interest over your properties and assets
  • Freeze the use of your vehicles
  • Have the rights and can sell your property
  • Will issue a warrant of arrest for your imprisonment

Authorities may also charge an additional enforcement fee on the top of the original charges. In addition, if you can’t afford to pay the fine by the due date you may ask for an installment plan with authorities to help you with the fine.

If you feel authorities have invoked your rights, seek legal advice.

Driving Offenses: Transferring a Fine

If ever you received a violation notice where you are the owner of the vehicle and you’re not the one who uses it, you can transfer the fine to the other party involved, you need to complete a statutory declaration.

If you know who was driving the vehicle, provide their information to the authorities. It is also recommended to ask for legal advice when transferring a fine.

Do You Need Legal Advice?

You may consider hiring a Motoring Offence Solicitor if you:

  • Have been charged with a driving offense
  • Disagree with the violation notice and want to file a lawsuit
  • Received a fine and yet you’re not the who drive the vehicle
  • Want to file a lawsuit to dispute speeding fine
  • Are applying for financial hardship because your license has been revoked